Skip to main content
About the Praxis II
The Praxis Series™ tests measure teacher candidates’ knowledge and skills. The tests are used for licensing and certification processes and include:
- Praxis II® Subject Assessments
These tests measure subject-specific content knowledge, as well as general and subject-specific teaching skills, that you need for beginning teaching. See Praxis II information.
- The subject assessments consist of select Alabama State Board of Education approved tests from the Praxis II: Subject Assessment series that are administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). The tests measure subject-specific content knowledge needed by beginning teachers. To obtain more information about the Alabama approved Praxis II Subject Assessments, available test preparation materials, test dates and deadlines or to register for one or more of the tests, please click on the Web Link below.
ETS Praxis Web Site
Overview of Alabama Testing Requirements
Alabama's testing program has been adopted by the Alabama State Board of Education.
Effective September 1, 2012, the title of Alabama's testing program was changed from Alabama Prospective Teacher Testing Program (APTTP) to Alabama Educator Certification Testing Program (AECTP). The AECTP consists of the basic skills assessments and Praxis II® tests (content knowledge and pedagogical knowledge).
All applicants seeking certification in Alabama, as well as those reinstating an Alabama certificate that has lapsed for more than six months, must successfully complete the AECTP test requirements.
Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities
The following accommodations are available for Praxis™ test takers:
- Extended testing time
- Additional rest breaks
- Separate testing room
- Writer/recorder of answers
- Test reader
- Sign language interpreter for spoken directions only
- Perkins Brailler
- Braille slate and stylus
- Printed copy of spoken directions
- Oral interpreter
- Audio test
- Braille test
- Large print test book (14 pt.)
- Large print answer sheet
- Listening section omitted
View this page in a format suitable for printers and screen-readers or mobile devices.
915 South Jackson Street • Montgomery, Alabama 36101 • 334-229-4106 • Fax: 334-229-4940