Google sites provides an easy way for people who are working together with quick access to up-to-date inforfmation. More over, the team members can be granted previlidges to edit the site and pages with adding file attachments, inserting other google applications as well as other free-form content. In the guide, you will find out how to create a site, how to create a page as well as how to manage your site and your pages.
1. Create a site. To create your site, you will need to first sign in to your gamil account and find the "sites" button at the top of the page:
2. Once you are prompt to the creating page, find the "create" button at your left-hand column:
3. Then you will be asked to selet a template for your site, name your site, customize your site location (URL) as well as select a theme for the site. In "more option" options, you can catagorize your site and give it a brief description:
Once you are done with setting up, go back to the top of the page and click on the "create" button. And you've had your Google Site set up and good to go!
4. Share your site
The last but not the least, you may want to decide with whom to share your site. If you are using your ASU gmail account, by default you are sharing your site with the whole ASU family. To change it, you can go to the home page of your site and find "share"button at the top of the page:
On the page you are prompt to, you will find a "change" button under "who has access" heading. Go ahead and click on it and decide to what extent you want to share your site. Also note that yourself is the owner of the site. Don't forget to hit the "save" button at the bottom of the page once you selet the group.
5. If you decide to make your site "private", you are going to manually grant access permissions to people you invite to edit/viwe.own the site.
There is a "Add people" box where you can put in the email address of those who you are inviting. Note there is a "can edit" box with a little black arrow to the right of the "add people" box, go ahead click on the arrow and pick the permission. At last click on the "share and save" button and you are all set.
Once you have the site set up, you will want to add pages to the site so that the site will actually deliver the information.
1. To add a new page, you need to go back to the home of the site. Find the "New page" button at the upper right coner of the page:
2. On the creating page, you can name your page, select template and location for your page. Note you can also customize the URL to yor page.
Once you are done with setting-up, go ahead click on the "create" button at the top of the page and you are prompted to the page and you are all set to edit the page.
It is very easy to edit a new page. To start editing a page, get on the page you want to edit, at the upper right coner find a pen icon and click on it:
Then you will be prompt to the page looking like below with tool bars helping you start with edit your page:
Feel free to explore around the different buttons to find the tools that fit your needs the best and note that before you hit "save" button at the upper right corner, nothing is going to be saved on this page. Also note that you can add files as attachments to the page by clicking on the "Add files" button at the bottom of the page.
You may have noticed that there is a "More" button at the upper right corner of each page. This button gives you options of:
1. Track the rivision history of the page;
2. change the location of a page or delete a page;
3. Edit the laylout (the side bar) of the page;
4. Manage the site;
5.Share the access of each page
As well as other functions that Google Sites has provided.
You are highly encouraged to play around with each option that you are offered to find out what works for you the best.
Good luck setting up your site and enjoy the collaborations with your collegues!