Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
View this page in a format suitable for printers and screen-readers or mobile devices.
915 South Jackson Street • Montgomery, Alabama 36101 • (334) 604-9093
What is the Purpose of an Archive?
An archive is a building or area that houses collections of historic nature, most of which are primary sources.
The purpose of an archive is to:
- Give Access
Those that work at the ASU archives have the following duties:
- Preserve the material acquired to prevent any further damage to the records
- Protect (or safeguard) the material for future generations
- Give access to the material in two ways
- Giving researchers and students the ability to use the materials when they come into the archives
- Give the wider audience virtual access to some of our collection through te use of online access