Skip to Main Content
View this page in a format suitable for printers and screen-readers or mobile devices.
915 South Jackson Street • Montgomery, Alabama 36101 • (334) 604-9093
What is the Purpose of an Archive?
An archive is a building or area that houses collections of historic nature, most of which are primary sources.
The purpose of an archive is to:
- Give Access
Those that work at the ASU archives have the following duties:
- Preserve the material acquired to prevent any further damage to the records
- Protect (or safeguard) the material for future generations
- Give access to the material in two ways
- Giving researchers and students the ability to use the materials when they come into the archives
- Give the wider audience virtual access to some of our collection through te use of online access