Skip to Main Content
View this page in a format suitable for printers and screen-readers or mobile devices.
915 South Jackson Street • Montgomery, Alabama 36101 • (334) 604-9093
Students are required to read text in various formats, in print or electronically. Using text material effectively and in a way that engages students supports many learning outcomes. Contact your subject specialist librarian for more suggestions.
Exercises Aligned with Standards and Mapped to Learning Outcomes
These are suggestions for exercises mapped to
Information Fluency competencies in the context of text-based instruction.
Require students to:
- Choose relevant readings from books (print or
- Write a summary or create a concept map of main
summary of reading to you, the instructor, or to a classmate for peer review.
( Alternative: set-up collaborative workspace in an online social
a class blog or BlackBoard discussion area to post summaries of reading,
including correct citations
- Find reading from the library databases
- Locate and evaluate resources that provide
background information (encyclopedias, handbooks, dictionaries), print or
Learning Outcome Introduced and/or
Learning Outcome 2: Students will be able to use library and information technology tools and resources to carry out research.
constructs and implements effective search strategies
- Uses a wide variety of discipline appropriate methods to retrieve information
selects the most appropriate methods or tools for finding information
Learning Outcome 3: Students will be able to design and execute a research project using a systematic process to collect, analyze and present information in written formats, properly incorporating citing and documenting sources.
- Creates a high quality, original product to effectively accomplish the planned objective
- Successfully integrates compiled information, demonstrating proper use of citation and documentation
- Systematically evaluates & presents quality information in written formats
The Library offers these additional services and resources to help you and your students:
- Liaison Librarians
- Library Course Guides
- WorldCat Local library catalog